Thursday, May 28, 2009

Free Stuff

A little birdy told me that we can get free prescription inserts and a spare pair of glasses made at the medical shop here. Never one to turn down free equipment, especially stuff I can really use, off I went to the med shed with a copy of my prescription.

Now, I have a pair of prescription sunglasses with ballistic lenses that I bought myself because I was worried my supply system wouldn't get me prescription inserts before I left. Through a combination of working in advance and people back home that were willing to work with me (technically they need paperwork validating a deployment before they can order the inserts, but they know my unit is in and out a lot and so just placed the order before the paperwork flowed), I got a pair of inserts in time.

So my sunglasses work. My one insert sits in my ballistic goggles. And now I'll have a spair insert to keep in my issued ballistic glasses. Outstanding.

I also needed a spare set of glasses since mine are pretty cheap. The lenses have a tendancy to fall out. I did try ordering a set before I left but something got messed up. Problem solved...

Now, I have no idea what the new frames look like. However, the purpose is for me to be able to see the world. I'll worry about how the world sees me later. I already run around in Ranger panties in my off time so if they are the classs "birth control" style frames (so named because anyone wearing them won't have to worry about needing other methods) then who cares?

I also got another installment towards my initial issue of Army stuff. A set of long johns and an infrared reflective/emitting flag patch for ID purposes at night under night vision goggles.

No, I don't need the long johns now. But it's nice to have a few sets in the proper colors when it's cold and I need to be in uniform. Or when it's cold in general.

I also received a surprise package from close family friends containing a lot of meat. I may or may not have swung a string of sausages in a threatening manner (like a set of nunchuks) towards someone asking what was in the box. Thank you.

On a related note, I did find two cases of kosher meals. Unfortunately, they are Passover meals. The accessory packs are great. They have mixed nuts, dried fruit, and other healthy stuff. Unfortunately, the entrees are a little greasy. Well, very. But now I have other better food. And the Chaplains are working on the MREs.

As I sit here drafting this at work, my neighbor is on the phone mentoring a young LT. It's really funny but hard to describe. This senior NCO told the good LT that it's OK and he looks to him for guidance because he is an officer. The translation: stop just forwarding emails to others and make a decision.

He also explained that all officers need training and described to the LT how the weather guy next to him (me) brings him his chow every meal. And how last night I didn't cut his chicken up right for him so he threw it at me. Yes, he told the LT, you need to break officers in right. Especially those weather officers, because they think they are all so smart.

I was picturing this LT nodding along at the other end of the phone no longer sure what was true and what was a joke. Meanwhile, I'm sitting here feeding lines to my neighbor.

I also got teased for my haircut. It had been weeks since my last haircut. My hair was longer than it has been in years. Still in regs, technically, but getting shaggy and annoying. Once it crosses the line from brushable to needing to be brushed, it is too much. When I came back, with what was not a particularly short haircut for me, my Marine buddy looked at me and nodded approvingly. He said it was almost an Active Duty haircut.

Before I forget, I need to wish congratulations to friends of ours who are getting married this weekend. I'm sorry I can't be there. As you can read, I am deeply engaged in making the world safe for democracy one powerpoint slide at a time. My wife will be there. I'll get a full report.

Also, I'm going to celebrate the next couple of days with Cookies and Cream ice cream from the chow hall.

1 comment:

Bashi and Roger said...

Enjoy the salamis, and Chag Shavuot Sameach!