Monday, May 18, 2009

Ouch...

So I stepped on it hard today while exploring the boundaries of my position. It happens. In the process though I learned more about some of the bigger picture issues driving our manning and about things coming down the pipe for my position. I may have to smooth things over and keep a slightly lower profile on some things for a little bit, but long term I think it'll be a good thing.

As my boss says, if you never get told to backdown or get back in your lane, you are probably not doing your job. With certain caveats...

I also learned that there is nothing spooky about my location this time around. Apparently we give out certificates to some people with the commander's signature, a flag, and the location where the flag was flown is on the certificate. OK.

So, if you haven't guessed, this time around I am one of the many people at Joint Base Balad. So there it is.

And at the chow hall I saw the epitome if Balad fashion. There was an older contractor wearing a T-shirt and 5.11 tactical pants. Except the pants were shortened into Bermuda Pants. Instead of a gunbelt or even normal belt, he had a reflective belt going through the belt loops. Suspenders were presumable holding the pants up, though they didn't look that loose.

What an odd war.

And someone had an iPod Touch with a "Genius Test." First I passed. Then I noticed it was timed. So I had to get the best time. I got it. Then the guy who owned this particular iPod Touch set a new record. I beat that. Then he beat mine. I have yet to beat the new record.

Again, what an odd war.

No comments: