Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Shenanigans

Today the JOC director told us to cease all shenanigans. He did so while walking around with imaginary lats syndrome. It was quite a sight.

The two other guys in my row looked up remote control helicopters and asked the Sergeant Major if they could get them and have them fight each other over the skies of the JOC. He said no. However one of the reviews of the model helicopter they wanted was from a dude in Iraq. Apparently he got it stuck in a T-barrier (big concrete wall, shaped like an upsidedown T) and so was disappointed with the maneuverability but satisfied with its durability. One of the guys here has experience with that model and said it was hard to keep it flying straight.

I was going to explain to him the physics of helicopter flight and why he was having trouble keeping it straight. But I thought better of it. It wouldn't necessarily make it easier to fly. And he probably knew already.

At one point, two guys started bombarding one of the senior officers with post-it note bads. They were aiming for his bald spot. He returned fire with tiny easter eggs. He continued until one was caught in the target's mouth.

We have the fun row.

We also teased a young officer about the mustache he is growing. It actually isn't as ridiculous as some, but mustaches are often pretty ridiculous. Especially in the growing stage.

Lest you think it is all fun and games, we also did a lot of real work. But I can't post that here. Sorry.

Per my father's recommendation I clarified certain comments about the people of this region. I would also like to add that after testing the wild boar at the Baghdad Zoo for swine flu and determining that they were not infected, the Iraqis killed them. Yes. Not infected. Killed anyway. I'm not sure if that's a local quirk or our influence.

The chaplain was able to find two meals for me on post. Ordering more and still looking too. Babysteps.

I also met our Command Sergeant Major and operations director. It's a little different than last time where I had a lot of face time with the commander, the ops director, and the senior enlisted for the command. The structure here is different. I'm not sure if that is because of the difference between the elements I'm working with or the evolution of the war. It is what it is.

It is nice though that when people redeploy the commander is given a little index card with some notes and makes a public presentation. If he knows the person, it is a little more personal. He tries and adds something funny or nice each time. Then the person get's to say a few words.

It's kind of funny though how routine some things have become. Unless I either screw up royally or single handedly save the planet, I will be leaving this rotation with a command coin and a Joint Commendation Medal. I'm not here to add to my coin collection (they sit in a bag on a shelf in my uniform closet, I think) or to collect uniform bling. No one is here for that. But I just find it a little odd.

No comments: