Thursday, April 16, 2009

Hurry up and wait...

There is a lot to be said for getting all of us special types together to deploy as one big family. Unfortunately, while we refer to each other as a brothers, we behave more like an extended family.

The lead unit tells all of its members what's going on at its in-house meetings. They probably tell everyone with their specialty too, because they all know each other. Those of us in other specialties are more like cousins. Similar genes, so to speak, but not as close. We're not at all the in-house meetings, and sometimes they forget to write.

Fortunately, I now have unlimited minutes on my cell phone and the numbers for all the people with the information I need. They now have my number and email. We are going to be good friends.

So, after initially being told that we were in a huge rush, I called to verify the time line. The only thing rushed after that call was to track down the one guy that hadn't come down here yet and tell him to cancel his travel plans before he got on a plane. We found him, re-did his plans, and now he gets a few more days at home with his wife and his obnoxious neighbor with a rusty car in the yard (really, the stories about this neighbor beat any Foxworthy joke). Unfortunately, given the holiday schedule, I was unable to rearrange my plans and spend more time with my wife. So it goes.

In the mean time, I may be able to get one, maybe two jumps in. If two, then I'd have the bare minimum needed for jumpmaster school when I get back. If I'm really good I'll wake up early and run before the jump...

No comments: