Monday, April 27, 2009

Much ado about nothing...

I slept. I slept well. We took off and soon thereafter my seat was fully reclined, my jacket was covering me, and my patrol cap covered my eyes and I was out.

Of course, this was after a one hour flight from Bragg to another US base (which was no closer to our current layover point than Bragg, but I digress) where our giant cargo plane promptly broke. About 36 hours of delays and one delightful night at a very shady Super 8 Motel, we were off again.

Now that we have landed at our layover point, the plane is again broken. We are doubtful that it will be fixed in time for our scheduled departure. I don't mind. I have a suite here. Free wi-fi. A clean bathroom. There are no empty semi-defunct car dealerships on either side of our hotel here. There are no drug deals going on in the parking lot. In short, it is much better than the Super 8 Motel we were just at.

Skype works here. Sweet.

The post here is beautiful and I'm going to get out and enjoy the cool but sunny weather. I'll see plenty of the sun in the coming months, but it will hardly be cool. We are all fairly certain that we will get in to Iraq by the end of the month because the aircrew wants that tax-free combat zone pay for both April and May.

Off to explore...

No comments: