Friday, April 24, 2009

See you on the other side...

It looks like this will be my last post from this country for a while. I hope it is. I think it really will be. It's near the end of the month and the aircrew flying over will want to get in country before the end of the month so that they can get April and May tax free. Pilots are into scams like that.

I'm really glad to report that the unit I am augmenting has already contacted my wife and has added her to what they call the "social roster." Not that she needs it or will even be around to take advantage of it, but is really nice to know that the support is there. This team is really determined to take care of our families and keep the lines of communication open. One of their goals is to make it possible for all of the families to make plans to be there when we get back--to the best of their ability. Obviously, we can't always control airflow issues and transportation to Bragg is on the family, but hopefully they'll at least be armed with the information to make the plans if they want to.

I left a case of Sam Adams at the office here as a thanks to all the guys for helping us out while we waited. I know we must have been in the way as the set up their training schedules in order to get ready to replace us in a few months. They made sure we had a vehicle to get around, helped us get the parachute training, and set us up for those almost-jumps.

It is also nice to be leaving with everything in order at home. My wife's plans for the next year have been finalized with an incredible research opportunity close to home. Our home will be taken care of while we are away be a succession of renters who will also take care of our cats. What was a major source of stress is pretty much gone. I wish I could have been more help and realize I was really more the cause of many of the problems, but she made it all work.

My wife got bombarded with phone calls after I made my last calls to immediate family. We keep trying to call each other but then have to go as we each have call waiting. I guess ordinarily I'd be annoyed, but we appreciate the support.

Now I'm finishing some last minute laundry and doing my final pack-up. I have some food for tonight, breakfast at the hotel, and food packed for the flight. I did manage to reach a Chaplain downrange who has begun the work of setting up my food. There will probably be a delay again but it should be less of a saga than last time.

No comments: