Thursday, April 30, 2009

Ode to EOD

Explosive. Ordinance. Disposal.

These are the guys who go out to disarm or otherwise render roadside bombs safe. While everyone else tries to avoid IEDs, EOD goes to them. I mention them now because they have saved countless coalition and civilian lives but are pretty much unknown outside of the military community.

We lost one recently when the IED he was securing exploded.

- - - - - - - - - - - -

On a lighter note, I am settling in to my job. Yesterday I sat in the main seat and did most of the work under the supervision of the guy I am replacing. Today he will be more hands-off and tomorrow I will most likely be riding solo so he can pack.

He's very ready to leave. He's earned it.

The job itself is a little different than last time, but similar enough that I'll get in a groove pretty fast. I'm working for a different element but they have similar needs to the one I supported last time.

As for food, the chow halls are in newer buildings and some have TVs playing AFN and even framed action pictures on the walls, but the food is the same. Quite possibly exactly the same. One never knows. I did have a few emails from the Chaplain about arranging my food. I was just able to access the account he sent it too yesterday, which delayed things a few day, but I know he is working it. Much less of a saga than last time. Or so it would seem at this point.

I also learned that blue means hot and red means cold in some of our shower stalls. I wished I had realized that during my pre-work shower yesterday, but so it goes. It did wake me up. The real downside was that my room mate, the guy I am replacing, keeps the A/C on really high at night. He's a cold weather guy. I packed a thin blanket. It's cold. But I let it slide because he's been here a while and will be gone soon. Then I'll have the place to my self and will set the A/C as I see fit.

No comments: