Friday, April 17, 2009

A Not Jump

Well, we showed up on time. But they were jumping a special type of parachute that I hadn't been trained on and the other guy with me had left his certifying paperwork at home. So now we are trying to schedule the necessary certification/re-certification for next week and squeeze in a jump before we go. Annoying, but if I can get the training on this parachute, all the better.

Although the travel changes are inconvenient, they do afford me the opportunity to hang out on an Active duty post. It may seem like a small thing but as a Guard guy in a small career field there is a treasure trove of information to be picked up just by listening to the chatter at the unit here. Over the course of a BS session as people packed up for the weekend I found out about two classes that the Active duty would be setting up that had unfilled, but funded, slots. Jackpot.

So newly armed with my unlimited minutes as a loyal T-mobile customer, I called back to my Guard unit to let them know. I then emailed the specific troop who I want in those courses with the names of the courses and the names of the points of contact. If he wants to move forward on the path to being special (or more special-er for the everyone is special crowd), then he will show some initiative and resourcefulness.

Who wouldn't be motivated by putting IV's in your new friends and running around in full kit shooting stuff?

If you are in my family or one of my high school friends, that last question was rhetorical.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Mazel tov to my cousin on her Bat Mitzvah. I wish I could be there.

No comments: