Thursday, June 18, 2009

Biblical Dust

I had to take my "Biblical Dust" comment out of my breifing slide. The JOC Director nixed it.

However... as soon as I briefed my slides, the wall of dust hit and the visibility outside was reduced to ZERO.

When I saw myself in the mirror after walking from the JOC to my hooch I saw what I will look like with gray hair.

If you're curious, I will look distinguished. Of course.

Somehow I got motivated to go back in to the dust to hit the gym and try an elliptical machine. I won't try that again. The motion is nothing like my natural stride, the controls are weird on these machines, and IT IS NOTHING LIKE A NORMAL MOTION.

I'll go back to the rower or a bike for low-impact work while my knee recovers.

I also sent a picture of the satellite image of the dust to some of my troops back home that are headed this way. The beatings will continue until morale improves.

Anyway, once again I have to say that having a SOF-only chat room for weather coordination is a life saver. It doesn't change the weather or anything, but provides a nice steamvent. We all know each other. We can joke. We can complain. It's nice.

Also, to freak out my mother (and maybe my wife, but I likely talk to her soon and she will have already vetoed it--as she should), one of my buddies here has organized a group buy for AR-15 parts kits. You have to put it together yourself, which is a good experience anyway, but then you have a fully functional rifle at an incredible price. It's very tempting because the price is incredible.

We all enable each other's bad habits. We all have overlapping if not the same interests and way too much time spent eating internet bandwidth.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

As your Mom - I enabled you to get the most out of your education and be a fruitful member of society - including SOF - that doesn't mean you need more GUNS! UGHHHHHHHHH If you have that much time - focus on your patent board