Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Fortunate Son

So the little video of some recent operational highlights they showed us was set to the classic Fortunate Son. I think it's a great song. I'm just not sure they listened to the words before choosing it as the soundtrack for a movie about an all-volunteer force being trained by an all-volunteer force.

In a karmic moment that would make Earl proud (I wonder if that reference will make any sense in a few years...), the video crashed.

The commander was disappointed. He's a Credence Clearwater Revival fan.

I am too. Except their cover of "I heard it Throught the Grapevine" just doesn't do it for me.

I guess tonight's theme will be music. While I was waiting for the computer the contractor who runs the MWR hut was singing to himself again. It sounds a little like a Chinese Opera. That would be fine except he's not actually singing a Chinese Opera and, well, it sounds like a Chinese Opera.

My key accomplishment for the day was finishing the silly computer-based training modules for my Air Force class. Now to do the readings and take the tests and be done with it.

In work related news, while we as a community botched a recent forecast, we've been able to turn it in to a good learning experience. In addition to identifying some features that we missed, I and one of the other Senior NCOs in the country made a concerted effort to see if this experience revealed other deficiencies.

We both worked together to stop any useless finger pointing that was going on. Then we did identify some broken processes and came up with solutions. Some of them have already been implemented and will be tested the next time the weather goes to crap.

Working with this one particular Senior NCO is a great experience. We aren't in the same command but coordinate a lot of our efforts to get things done. He is very professional, very dedicated, and very smart. If he doesn't retire at the top of the enlisted rank structure then we are promoting the wrong people.

No comments: