Thursday, June 11, 2009

In Awe

My military career has been far from conventional. It is not what I planned. Very frequently I wonder about this whole weather thing.

All that said, I look around here at the people I get to work with, I talk to my current boss and troops back home, and I see what the people I've worked for in the past are doing and I consider myself to have been very lucky.

A lot of names are being thrown around for the new leadership structure in Afghanistan. I'm not sure any of them would necessarily remember me beyond recognizing a face should we cross paths again (as happened briefly in the halls of the Pentagon this past summer) but I will always remember working for them and learning how things are supposed to be done.

In addition to being great warriors leaders and some having already inspired movies with their actions, they are truly great leaders. I have seen firsthand how they foster and direct healthy debates among subordinates.

Here, the work continues. Slow, steady, and a little repetitive.

I stopped by the Chaplain to check on food. May have a few cases of meals soon. Hopefully not more Passover food. I just can't eat those. They are not good. I'm a SERE graduate. But I can't eat those. Just way too heavy, greasy, and yet strangely unfilling.

Oh well.

I also put my most recent shipment of M&M's in the community candy basket. I'm trying to maintain my figure here.

My new armband and protective sleeve for my iPod came. I'll be testing those out tonight. A few nights ago I tried the rowing machine for a bit. It proved to be an excellent warm up for the treadmill. Tonight I'll find out if that was a weird night, an ice cream fueled super workout, or my new routine.

No comments: