Sunday, June 21, 2009

Happy Father's Day!

Happy Father's Day to my Dad and all the other Dad's out there in the real world. I may have accidentally ruined a surprise about desert for him tonight. Oops.

As for out here, I was a little surprised that they didn't have a cake or something for Father's Day. They had a cake for the Army's birthday. They had a cake or something for Mother's Day.

It's also a funny holiday here because a lot of the guys here are fathers and so rather than kids calling home it is the dad's calling home. Yeah, a similar thing happens on Mother's Day here but it is less pronounced.

Workwise, as the lead weather guy for SOF here, my attitude is that it is more important that we--the SOF weather forecasters--be coordinated than that we be right. Being right is obviously important. But if we are not coordinated and are all saying something different, then the planning process breaks down and resources aren't allocated optimally. And if we are coordinated then it is likely we will have collaborated on the forecast and will enjoy some type of synnergy leading to a better forecast anyway. However, I prioritize all of us saying the same thing over any one of us being perfectly accurate by ourselves.

Usually we're successful. Every now and then the system breaks down. When all the weather folks aren't all repeating the same thing then a weird game of telephone happens. Some dude will remember whichever of the various forecasts that he liked. He will then repeat it to his buddy, who will repeat whatever he remembered, and so on until the commander is making decisions based on a mix of our briefs and rumor. If we are all repeating the same thing, this is less likely to happen. Nip it in the bud.

I am happy to report that the Chow Hall is stocking Health/Protein Shakes again. I am building my own stash. I know that if everyone is hoarding things from the chow hall then we will all run out faster. I know that by hoarding it that I contribute to this. But I also know that if I don't hoard them, then I will run out faster than everyone else who is hoarding them.

There is a lesson in there.

Besides, I'm sure the limit of 2 drinks applies to each pocket, not to each person.

No comments: