Saturday, July 4, 2009

Four Years

Admittedly, neither of us are big on arbitrary dates. I regularly confuse our anniversary and her birthday. I didn't realize our anniversary was coming up so soon until we were on the phone and she corrected me.

Wedding dates, and the subsequent anniversaries of them, are rather arbitrary. But they are still milestones.

My wife and I tend to mark our anniversaries by travelling. The first anniversary found us on a road trip while moving across the country.

The second anniversary found her in Iceland and me in Iraq. At least they both start with I. And we have incredible pictures from her trip. There is one picture from my trip. It was taken in non-descript building at an indisclosed location with a large flag mounted in the background to prevent any significant information from being determined from the photo. I have never gotten a copy of the picture. I should look in to that.

I really was in Iraq though. I swear. My pay records say so.

Last year I was experiencing the great out doors at SERE school during our anniversary. I can't remember where my wife was. I think working. Oh well.

This year, my wife is treating the under served in a remote South American village. I can almost see my hand in front of my face during another Iraqi dust storm.

This time both countries don't start with "I," but both countries do play host to Leishmaniasis.

I don't know where we'll be for our next anniversary, but it would be nice to be there together.

No comments: