Monday, July 6, 2009

Improved Vocabulary

Bakla. I think it's the Tagalog word for transvestite. Whatever the language is, it means transvestite in English. And there are four baklas working for the contractor that does our laundry.

The entire beauty shop, since we have both a beauty shop and a barber here on Balad, is staffed by baklas.

This is what I learned when dropping off my laundry. Some other contractors and the nice Filipino couple that runs our laundry were discussing it.

I already knew about the beauty shop. It's pretty obvious.

At the barbershop though, I could care less. Cut my hair close to the way I want it, and I'm happy. I'm not that picky and don't really need to impress anyone here. I'm not expecting much for the $5 I spend on it, which includes a 25% tip. The webcams here aren't so great that my wife can tell the difference between a good and bad haircut via Skype anyway--just whether or not my hair is "long" or not.

I realize that my standard of long hair is different than civilian standards for long hair. I don't really measure it by length so much as hassle though. If it really needs to be brushed in the morning, then it is too long. Not that I don't brush it either way, but if I need to brush it... that is the standard.

In the background as I draft this, a senior NCO is making "neeeyah" noises to make up for the lack of volume on the Rolex Series race on AFN Sports on our flatscreens. I think it adds a little something to the excitement.

I wish we had his sound effects for the Roddick-Federer match yesterday. It may have broken the unavoidable tension that builds during such an epic event. But it would have been amusing all the same.

Over the last week I finished two Grisham books and one Crichton book that I found lying around. Maybe it's been so long since I've read any of their work, but it seems like there is more blatant moralizing in their more recent efforts.

Admittedly I share Grisham's concerns over elected judges and the whole concept of gene patents confuses me when patenting an element of nature is otherwise a no-go, but disrupting the narrative to better serve the underlying diatribe regardless of how it breaks the story-telling flow is annoying to me.

I fear subtelty, like the bunt, is quickly becoming a lost art.

Today was a crazy day becaue with the break in the weather came lots of mail. Everyone had cookies and candy from home to pass around. I also got some new PT socks and PT shorts.

The socks are basic merino wool/coolmax micro socks. Nothing special. I may start wearing my PT socks with my combat boots though. I got the idea from a Marine. At first I thought he was nuts, but then I tried it.

It's hot out. Less sock means less heat on my foot/lower leg. Nice.

The shorts were a bit of a disappointment. Not quite as loose a fit as my Ranger panties, even after I cut out the liner. But they are a little longer.

I don't have to look at me, I don't think anyone in the gym really cares, but my neighbor thanked me.

I think he's just jealous.

I also got another set of glasses and double checked my prescription. Since the glasses I brought with me have been broken beyond repair (I got what I paid for...), I figured it would be a good idea to get a spare spare pair. So I went with the competition shooter to the eye clinic. His eyes aren't what they used to be and 20/40 doesn't cut at the national level, so he figured he'd get a prescription set.

I just figured I'd double check my prescription and nab another free pair while the getting is good, so I tagged along. I was asked if the Air Force participated in whatever the acronymn was that is responsible for the eyewear issue. I shrugged my shoulders and said I've been playing Army this whole rotation and was told to go to this clinic. It worked.

The first frames I got were black. They work, but my wife doesn't like them. Not sure if it's the shape, size, or the color she didn't like. I got the second pair in silver, since there was no variety in size/shape. I hope she likes these better. These are actually pretty good quality frames.

With my glasses, my vision is apparently 20/15. Good to know my prescription hasn't changed in over two years.

Maybe it was a little dark, but on the way to the clinic we were joking that if we would need our weapons, the most likely threat would be from another soldier.

When we got the clinic, we had to check our guns. It was funny because in an almost synchronized motion we both reached back under our ACU jackets and drew our guns from our concealment holsters. We cleared them and handed them to the orderly at pretty much the same time.

While I was waiting to get on the computer to post this, one of our interpreters asked if I could help him with an email to his supervisor. I checked his spelling and syntax for him. It was pretty good, I just had to correct some minor typos and Americanize some of the punctuation.

I'm also proud to say that my wife is doing incredible things in rural South America. Her clinic has treated hundreds of patients already and everyone there looks to her to lead.

No comments: