Saturday, July 11, 2009

Pocket SCIF

In a slow moment today we had a little campfire in the JOC and BS'ed some more. The topic of the pocket SCIF came up. A SCIF is a secure vault where top secret material is handled. A pocket SCIF is a highly illegal means of transporting classified material.

It is a pocket. And we would never transport classified material in a pocket. Definitely not in a cargo pocket. Not in a lower leg pocket. Never in a sleevepocket.

So many options. All off limits though.

In case you are curious, I do keep a notepad in my lower leg pocket though. Very handy.

We also learned that the grip strength things work a lot better if you oil them on occassion. The idea is to fight the spring tension, not metal-on-metal friction. A litte bit of gun lube and they don't squeak as much either.

Clearly, I'm pretty relaxed here. I'm in a groove with my job. Not cocky, but very comfortable with my forecasting and what I need to do to support our operations.

This is freeing me up to investigate side projects. My project for this week is getting certified to drive MRAPs. I may also see what other vehicles I can get signed off on while I'm here. There is a long list of vehicles I should be ready to drive, but a very short list of vehicles that my unit back home as regular access to.

I've also got some other planning projects going on. Always something.

And for the hell of it, I'm going to see if I can get some equipment replaced too. Better, faster, smaller. Why not?

We'll see how it all goes.

May as well maximize my time here.

No comments: