Thursday, July 16, 2009

Learn Something New...

I learned that one of the guys here who goes back to his hooch to brush his teeth after every meal is the son of a dental hygienist.

I learned that it's not just me and the current chaplain is more low key than other chaplains I've encountered in SOF.

For example, it was mentioned to me that one of the recent chaplains was a big dude, built like Brock Lesnar, with a similar affinity for mixed martial arts. The guy who was telling me about him apparently started a rumor that an injury his boss received during combatives training was the result of being beat up by the chaplain.

People believed it.

The current chaplain is more Father Mulcahey-ish.

Takes all kinds.

In the meantime, I've enjoyed BSing with one of the other Air Force guys about Special Tactics shenanigans. It's also interesting to learn more about what other people do and how they do it.

I'm still working on future planning to set up my replacements for success. As you can imagine, things are in flux.

Things are always in flux.

But now I've got some meetings with my counterparts in some other elements and will be doing some more coordination with the conventional folks to try and firm things up some.

It's crazy, but from the moment I got here I've been working on how it needs to be when I leave.

Similarly, I guess, shortly after my wife got to the clinic in South America they began plotting for when they go back next year. She's probably too busy to let it hit her, but I'm in shock that after watching so many months of hard work, their trip is almost over.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Avi,
This is Francis. Lisa the kids and I are visiting my Mom and Dad in Chevy Chase. Wanted to send a quick note to see how you are doing and to wish you well. Saw your Mom and Dad - they look great. We depart tomorrow, go to the beach for a bit, then return to Stuttgart. You can likely deduce my email address at Africom - send me a note so I have your email address. Stay safe buddy!