Tuesday, July 14, 2009

I Must Have One

OK, on the outside the MRAP looks like a prop from Mad Max. On the inside, it is something out of Stark Trek, but real and better.

Today was a bit crazy. It started with my night guy knocking on my door just before my alarm went off. I was worried at first that I'd overslept. But no, he just wanted to make sure I knew to take my armor with me to the course.

Originally I was told just to take my helmet, but that was wrong. I'm very appreciative of the effort he made to get me the news. Part of me was annoyed because I had time to run back to my hooch after I checked in at the JOC, but he couldn't have known that would be the case.

I hadn't told him that I had padded my schedule some to ensure I wouldn't be late.

I was late.

I had directions. They were pretty good directions. Not quite good enough. The training site was well hidden and not marked. Ultimately, after driving past it repeatedly for an hour and half (I was all set to be over a half hour early...), I found it.

Of course.

Because it was a very small class, the instructors were flexible. They were fast, but did not rush us. They quizzed us repeatedly as we went to make sure we were learning the systems and the vehicles limitations, fuel tank capacity, type of oil, operating ranges for various systems, etc.

Turning it on is a complicated procedure. Opening the doors requires a checklist. But wow, it is an impressive machine.

The various design features to not only armor the crew compartment but to protect the passengers from impacts forces are incredible. It also incorporates a wide array of technological features that shows the end user was considered during it's rushed design.

The trade-off is that it is an incredibly ungainly beast. There are small emergency air SCUBA-like tanks for if the MRAP rolls into water. People have drowned in them.

Fortunately, it is the essentially the same emergency air system I'd been trained on for helicopter egress training, so it was one less new thing to take up limited brain space.

As with all armor solutions, your trade mobility for protection... which only lasts until th enemy makes a bigger bomb or you deter/interdict the enemy to the point that bombs are no longer a threat.

Cavemen had the same debates.

All in all I was very pleasantly surprised by the MRAP.

If they can improve the mileage some, I'll be tempted to buy one.

I also got a reassuring email that was seconded by my night shift guy. There's been a chain of emails about command and control issues between a few SOWT officers. Things can get convoluted and we were collaborating on some ideas to simplify things and improver them.

The first step is to understand where things stand now and what the problems are. I summed up my thoughts on it and sent them out. I got a reply from one of the smart guys affirming what I wrote.

My night guy read it and said it was the first time any one explained it in a way that didn't confuse him further.

I hope I have it right. I think I do, because I've gotten to work under a variety of the command structures we were discussing during my short career. I have troops working under those various elements now.

For their sake, I really better be right because I need to be able to advocate for them and make sure they are taken care of properly.

If not, I better figure it out quick.

No comments: