Sunday, August 2, 2009

Combatives, Night Two

So second night of my combatives class is done.

One knuckle bleeding, though I'm missing skin from all of them. I should have brought my Krav Maga wraps with me.

I think I'll have my partner start working over my left arm because my right arm is mostly bruises and finger marks from the elbow up.

Kneck stretches beforehand are key. Glad I did them tonight.

Coaching someone into putting you in a weird naked choke is an odd sensation. As I told my partner, this is the last time I'm going to help him choke me because he needs to feel confident in being able to apply such a choke to someone.

Next time, game on.

I also need to drink more water, maybe some Gatorade or some fruit, if I'm going to run after work but before this class. Two-minute grapple-for-dominance drills are a terrible time for your leg to start cramping up.

I often joke about certain injuries by saying that's why God gave you two of them (knees, eyes, liver?). Some things come in two and are quite vulnerable when bodies and knees are rolling all over the floor.

But fight through it. Walk it off after you win the fight. You might not be walking anywhere if you lose.

Even so, it's a lot of fun. Great training and great PT. It emphasizes being a balanced athlete. Too much lifting and you get smoked early, technique will overcome brute strength.

But I'm also glad the course is only a week long. If they can continue the sessions, I'll try to hit it at least once a week to sustain and improve these skills. Unfortunatley the instructor's shift hours are a little different than mine so keeping this schedule daily is a bit much.

No comments: