Thursday, August 13, 2009

I've Lost My Mojo

I need to get my mojo back.

I was somewhat aware of the passage of time until I ran in to one of the troops responsible for planning our return trip. She told me a number. A number that was slowly getting smaller. A number that I refused to think about.

The days we have left.

Now it's out there, hovering over my work. Daily annoyances are a little less annoying yet that trivialness makes them that much more frustrating at the same time.

An excellent example would be our near-futile quest to get a program un-installed and re-installed on our computer. For some reason, after many years, this program stopped working. It's not vital, but it is very helpful.

I call our computer people since they control what goes on the network. They tell me that the program is not approved.

I ask to talk to the guy in charge. He's not in. When does he get in... they tell me and promise he'll call in the evening. This is after my night guy was told he didn't get in until the morning.

So I call back in the evening. Oh, he's at dinner. He's the only guy authorized to determine that a program that has been on the network for years, that is on pretty much every weather guy's computer here, that was developed by and for the Air Force, is not authorized.

It's brilliant really. I'm not going to yell at his underlings. It's not their fault.

I can't yell at him. He is apparently a ghost.

I can create a paper trail and find his boss, but that is so unsatisfying and impersonal.

I want to yell at him. I'm very nice to be people who do their jobs. I'm even nice to people who are clearly making an effort here.

This will be fixed by the end of my shift tomorrow.

So I'm looking to my little projects, outside of my little vendettas, to re-motivate me. Some have made small but good progress. Others are stalled. Sadly none will really be done by the time I leave, but at least they will be primed for my replacement.

I'm also breaking in my new running shoes. That's always fun. A short 2 miles this evening because my legs were still sore from my first night back at one-legged squats. I'll probably be back into a really good routine just in time to leave.

This time I need to really bring it home with me. I have all the tools I need at the house.

No comments: