Monday, August 24, 2009

I have a problem

I can't put a good book down. Or even a mediocre book with an interesting story.

Last night I figured I'd read a quick chapter of The Shadow of the Wind, the book my cousins sent me, after work before I went running. 250 pages later I finished the book, but it was a bit late to run.

Back home I read a lot of non-fiction, news, and history. Over here I tend to blow through more fiction.

I guess I like really good historical fiction. Sometimes it does a better job of capturing an era than anything else. Unfortunately, I'm not as well read into the horrors of the Spanish Civil War and Franco's Spain as maybe I should be. So this book was an intriguing story but I can't vouch for its historical accuracy.

I heard that my cousin looked beautiful at her wedding and that it was a great time for all.

They had cocktail weinies. That's how you know it's a real party.

I had a great time at my wedding, the food was incredible, but I am still a little bitter that we didn't have cocktail weinies.

There, I said it.

I'm not sure whether to be proud or depressed that some staff paperwork I predicted would get bounced back did, in fact, get bounced back to me.

Our awards packages have been resubmitted. One day I hope to be the guy I described in my award package. He sounds like a beast.

I hate writing my own award.

After a while words like lead, developed, exceptional, unparalleled, groundbreaking, streamline, spearhead, irreplaceable, and the like tend to lose their meaning. But if this thing goes through, which it looks like it will, then I will be officially awarded for applying the currently fashionable power terms to other actions, events, and impacts in the proper manner.

That, my friends, is how wars are won.

Even though he specifically told me to, I still don't like that I submitted my NCO for a lower award than what I submitted for myself.

In the original package I sent up for both of us, I even used the same citation as a template because my summary of our jobs is that overnight he cleans up every mess that I make during the day.

He wants it this way, everyone here is cool with it, so there it is.

No comments: