Friday, August 21, 2009

The Great American Hero

I saw someone special in the chow hall today.

It was a civilian, though he may have been prior military. I'm still not sure whether to be in awe of him, jealous of him, or even disgusted.

On his plate, one of the three-sectioned plastic picnic plates, were buttered noodles, rice (which here is over-salted and probably over-buttered), and fries covered in cheese/cheez (I think this delicacy is with a "z").

Lest you worry, he also had a bowl of salad. In that bowl were a lot of olives, cheddar cheese, and some crispy chow mein noodles.

I didn't stay to check on his desert.

I have to assume that this is a unique meal, even for this guy. Either that or he is training for an Ironman Triathlon. He was fat, but not the fattest.

Of course, a few more meals like that and he could quickly make up the frightening couple hundred pounds he needs to be the fattest civilian on Balad.

I know that some people have no access to healthy foods do the a lack of supermarkets in their area and the cheapness of unhealthy alternatives. Exercise takes time and some people are too busy working multiple sedentary jobs, fueled on Value Meals, to make time for it. Many aren't taught better.

Fine.

This dude likely knows better. At the very least, he's bombarded by AFN commercials telling him how to live a healthier life.

He has gym access.

I really hope it was some kind of one-time thing and not his regular meal.

The alternative just makes me mad.

I'm off now to pick up my laundry, verify that my forecast of hot weather is true, and then maybe play on a mini-bike or ATV because I can.

It's, um, sustainment training.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

He's still missing two basic food groups -- chocolate and potato chips