Tuesday, August 18, 2009

High Culture

Being able to read a foreign language has enabled me to learn that the death of Michael Jackson was front page news in Israel.

I got an amazing package in the mail yesterday from a bunch of my cousins. It was truly incredible in the way that every part represented a lot of thought and effort in to what I would enjoy and it was also very clear who gave each piece.

There were newspapers, some high-brow readings, excellent candies, cookies, and a CD documenting a family event (one of way too many this trip) that I missed.

It is rare that anything beats out cookies, especially cookies that involve white chocolate chips, but the CD was really special.

Don't get me wrong, a non-pop novel, issues of Foreign Affairs, Harper's Weekly, and an Economist are very much appreciated. Very very much. I guess I'm old fashioned but nothing beats actual pages in the hand.

But between all the of the major events in the lives of my friends and family that I've missed these past few months, and will be missing over the next few, the CD helped fill a little void.

Thank you.

Back in the war, we've entered a particularly slow period in the season for me. It's not quite the rainy season, but the dust season is coming to an end. It does give me time for other pursuits.

My biggest project right now is at a phase where I am trying to avoid reinventing the wheel. I know parts of it have all been done before, but the institutional knowledge has been lost. It's like a treasure hunt right now.

Otherwise, it's the usual routine. Nothing too exciting to share.

No comments: