Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Odd

Periodically we get care packages from various organizations back home. It is a very nice effort and we do appreciate it.

But sometimes we are a little surprised by what's in the box.

The usual random snacks and books are great. The cans of refried beans we got recently were a little questionable. I was also confused by a bag of sample toiletries. Travel size shampoos and stuff are a great addition but someone actually took the time to not only collect these samples from various hotels, but to put them in a sealed plastic bag.

Also, I think some of the shampoos were already open.

There was a toothbrush too. It was not in any packaging. We don't know if it was used but I think most people here will assume it was just to be safe.

I also discovered a novel invention.

On my main rig I have my primary first aid kit with all my major trauma tools and a spare tournequet (the main one being attached to my vest via rubber bands so I or my buddy can access it immediately). On my belt kit I have a little ouchie kit with some band aids, etc. Some how, without noticing it, I acquired some knuckle band aids when I went digging through that pouch today.

That's right. They make band-aids specifically for knuckles.

Genius.

It won't necessarily help my skinned knuckles heal this week, but it will keep them from bleeding on the punching pads during the last few combatives class sessions.

I also taught myself how to repair an ACU zipper since one the zipper pulls got pulled right off my sparring uniform. Good as new now.

No comments: