Saturday, August 1, 2009

Joint Operations Officer

We have lots of acronymns. It's its own language, really. In that spirit, I have a new knickname.

I am the Joint Operations Officer. The J.O.O.

I'll give you a minute with that.

It started with a Southpark episode where Cartman spells "Jew" wrong. And then it worked so nicely as an acronymn that it became a thing.

And true to stereotype, right now I'm working on finding discount equipment. It's for my team. My unit's budget is not what it should be and we often get caught in the middle while the National Guard Bureau and the Active Duty command we fall under when mobilized fight over who should pay for what.

So my latest idea is to equip some of us by calling the manufacturers and seeing if they will give us some samples to test and evaluate. They get some exposure with the opportunity for more sales in the future (plus they can advertise that their stuff is used by military special operators... it works for The Perfect Push-Up). We get some needed equipment to test before investing limited dollars on everyone.

My first test will be field uniforms. Out active duty peers have a specific field uniform that is designed in a pattern that is more effective than the issued uniforms and tailored specifically for current needs. What works for the larger conventional force doesn't always work for us and we have a little more flexibility to pick and choose.

It is the uniform that one of my guys will be expected to have on some upcoming events and I don't want him to have to borrow someone else's like I did during my train-up. He won't be able to borrow it downrange and he should have what he needs before he deploys.

Since I'm stuck at headquarters right now, it's less of an issue for me. My counterparts in other theaters have gotten to go out on missions so it could be an issue for next time.

I'm also looking into some hiking boots and field packs. Military boots have gotten better, much better, over the years. But for the most part they are way behind civillian hiking boots. For field use, my guys can use better and shouldn't have to pay out of pocket for it.

The last is a new pack design that some of the teams have issued. It was designed specifically around our radios and to fit over armor.

It probably won't work. But asking is free.

I now have to go change in to a dirty uniform. I got off shift, went to the gym for a quick run, and now back into a uniform for the first combatives class.

Should be fun.

No comments: