Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Arrogance or Confidence?

One of my coworkers mentioned to me that he's heard nothing but good things about my work here. We joked that it was because I haven't screwed up yet, though I've had my moments. By bringing it up though, it was the first time the spectre of the alternative, that I wasn't doing a good job, entered my thoughts.
It's a pretty blunt community. If unsatisfied, they will let you know in very clear terms. Most of them single syllable, with some interesting compound words and unholy acts recommended. They won't hesitate to fire you.
I don't know everything about my job and won't claim to be the technical expert, but have a good sense of what I bring to the mission and am agressive about doing it. In the process I've been called everything from "Storm Chaser" to "Witch Doctor" to my name, but I'm still here and they keep coming back. Indirect positive feedback, but more than enough.
My high school physics teacher once told me that I'm not always right, but never in doubt. It might not be the best quality, but it does work for forecasting.
Of course, one nice thing about weather is the constant feedback right outside.

No comments: