Tuesday, June 5, 2007

The continuing saga...

The long awaited pallet of meals arrived. The logistics guy went to verify it himself. And he found a pallet of Halal meals. I wanted to laugh, but they were so frustrated that I felt bad. Meanwhile, they think that the actual shipment of meals ended up at a different station. They are having someone there check.
In any case, they went ahead and ordered a new shipment from the depot. The delay in doing it originally was that it would have been excessive given the assumed proximity of the meals already. Or something.
In the mean time, there were a few cases of meals that they scrounged up here, so I'm good for for a little while anyway.
Planning on my current project is going well. It has hit one minor obstacle though... I've been locked out of my unclassified email account. The most ironic part of it is that the freeze on my account is due to an expired password, even though we can't actually log on to unclassified computers with our passwords. We use our ID cards. Oh well. Easily fixed.

I'm amazed at the amount of reading I manage to get done. Found an article by Thomas Friedman from an old NY Times magazine on the convergence of issues driving greener policies. I liked it. Also found a book called The Village by Bing West about the USMC Combined Action Platoon program in Vietnam. A good idea, not widely enough implemented, that is a precursor to some of what we are doing in Iraq with the surge and have been doing on a small scale in Afghanistan as well. Should make for an interesting read. Sadly, it is yet another reminder of our need to reinvent the wheel and inability to learn from our own history.

I'm also trying to keep up on prep for law school. The school is doing a mock lesson for incoming students on Friday. I downloaded the lesson and am doing the reading, even taking some notes on the discussion questions. The lesson is on the International Criminal Court. The arguments in favor of it are very strong, provided you don't require it to accomplish anything or function in the real world in return for the money spent on maintaining it.
Besides, I though Belgium claimed universal jurisdiction over everything anyway.

No comments: