Monday, September 28, 2009

Day Off

Today was my first day off. I've been looking forward to it for a while now, ever since I realized that it was probably going to work out.

Yom Kippur, the Jewish day of atonement, isn't usually something one gets excited about and looks forward to. Being forced to take stock of things and acknowledge our sins is very much a good thing. It's just not fun. Neither is fasting for 25 hours.

However, it was the first holiday I'd really be able to observe in anything close to a proper manner without having to worry about work. That was really nice on many levels.

As a whole though, regular days off here would drive me nuts. If a unit is regularly giving people a day off, then they need to send people home.

Since I am pretty much turned over and awaiting my own trip back, I have some time on my hands. It will involve PT, hitting the range, and putting the last touches on my After Action Report.

I do kind of flame the Guard Bureau and AFSOC for our equipment issues. I also talked to some other people who compile such things about this problem. And I included it in my response to some draft policies AFSOC is finalizing.

I'm shotgunning it out there. There is a problem. I want it fixed. I don't care who gets embarrassed about it. I'm right and being nice hasn't worked.

It is nice to see some draft policies to standardize training needs and goals across our community. It is pretty agressive with a very long list of tasks we need to be able to perform and maintain proficiency on.

My key response was that we can do it. But to get there they need to stop screwing around and get us slots to the necessary courses, give us the necessary equipment... they need to fund it. Otherwise it is meaningless paper.

Maintaining a special operations unit is expensive.

I guess the positive is that it is looking more and more likely that I'll get to go to HALO school in the future. That should be fun, though it will be one more thing to stay current on.

Apparently some of us may have to go to dive school too. That one is a real kick in the pants but if any of my guys will have to go then I should too. The real benefit, aside from a new infiltration skill, is that often military dive trips are real boondoggles.

It is mission essential to go to (insert major tropical paradise location) to ensure good conditions for the currency dive...

...but I have doubts that slots and money will follow anytime soon.

I can't really be bothered by it though. I'm making arrangements for return travel. All is well.

No comments: