Thursday, September 3, 2009

Supportive Cast

So earlier in the tour I was offered a great deal on a rifle. Now we also have guys shopping for kayaks. Another guy is offering tips on shopping for climbing equipment.

I've been good. I haven't actually bought any of these toys.

Besides, a lot of my climbing equipment was free... to me. My wife already has a harness.

Really all we need is our own rope and some quickdraws, as someone here reminded me and any rock would become our playground.

We already want kayaks.

Either it's a great place to work because we all have the same interests, or it is a dangerous place to work because we encourage each other's habits.

I guess it's good. Not only do we serve our great nation, but I'm pretty sure that a bunch of meat eaters stuck in JOCs with internet connections will single-handedly revive consumer spending.

Our tax-free combat pay at work.

I also found NCIS on our entertainment drive. This is yet another good and bad development.

It's an absurdly cheesy show that has nothing to do with how the real NCIS, or any actual Federal Special Agents, operates. But it's very entertaining.

While talking about it on the way back from chow, I realized that I attack TV series the same way I attack books. So I'll probably charge through this pretty quick.

Just like I killed yet another Grisham book last night. Now on the The World According to Garp and then a Tom Wolfe book I found lying around.

I'm also borrowing a book on the Secret Service that someone here just read. It is terrible. But since our Stars and Stripes delivery is inconsistent, it serves it's purpose.

We also took delivery of the JOC's new pull-up bar.

And apparently whoever, um, lent us some of the kettlebells for the JOC decided that they didn't want to "lend" them out. So some have been returned. Discreetly.

It's too bad, I got to give a brief this morning in the middle of a windmill set. Not only does this war take me far away from home, repeatedly, for months on end. But now it intrudes on my mid-shift PT.

It's just not fair.

We also do operational stuff. I promise.

No comments: