Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Myself Again

I came in this morning and was still a little mesmerized by the weather. I told my NCO about it.

He said that he was worried about me and that it was time for me to leave. I think he's right.

But I can't leave just yet, so I signed up for some therapy instead.

A few hours of playing with a Mark-14 Grenade Launcher, a few explosions, and all is well with the world.

It even improved my posture. My knuckles are dragging again.

OK, so nothing actually exploded. We just used training rounds that marked the the target with some colored paint/dust. It was still fun. Something new and different.

Really, I like having my mind blown by nature. It's a nice reminder.

I also like playing with our various toys. All goes well I'll get some more trigger time on various weapons my unit doesn't have back home. Hopefully some other little training/refresher sessions too.

It's a little ironic, but it's easy to forget things or for skills to atrophy while deployed. You often end up working really hard on a relatively narrow sub-set of your job.

If it works out, then it will be great to reengage on some of tactical skills so I'm more on the ball when I get back. It is especially important for me because I don't know when my next real training opportunities will be once I go back to a more traditional Guard schedule. I need to take what I can get now.

Everything would be wonderful except apparently my car back home has a flat tire, dead battery, the hood latch is rusted stuck, the trunk is full of water, and there are bees living in a passenger door. So I'm told.

I'm a little curious how bees can move in and the battery can die if the car is being started regularly. I can only laugh from here. And call my insurance company.

No comments: