Thursday, September 10, 2009

Won't Happen Again

I forgot to mention that in the middle of the refresher course on the range, I had to run off to a meeting.

My ID card was still in the JOC. My access badge was in my hooch. The key to my hooch was in an admin pouch on my armor carrier.

Those three thoughts crossed my mind as I got to the entry control point for my meeting.

I explained it the to the guard. It was way too convoluted a story for all but the most creative of evil infiltrators. Of course, at that moment it was a guard I didn't recognize.

Fortunately a senior NCO that did recognize me happened to be walking by. He asked why I needed a visitor's badge. He then asked if I had any ID whatsoever.

I pointed sheepishly to the nametape on the sleeve of my sweaty combat shirt.

He told the guard that he would vouch for me. I told the NCO that is was a learning experience, it wouldn't happen again.

He just shook his head and said he hoped so.

No comments: