Monday, September 21, 2009

Mark Twain Wins Again

Someone stopped me while I was walking and share these words of wisdom from Mark Twain: "Everybody talks about the weather but no one does anything about it."

I usually have a good response, but I had nothing for that. I like to think that I do something about the weather, but it's more mitigation or planning than it is actually affecting the weather. It isn't affecting the weather. A whole conversation like that went through my head as I passed this guy in the street.

I just smiled and nodded.

Back in the JOC, I noticed a buddy of mine had a new screensaver on his computer. It declared that "I love (insert term for a part of the male anatomy)."

You can trash talk about anything you want, but need to make sure your computer is locked when you're away if you do.

I've been careful ever since college football season started... but the OSU fan is all talk.

I am currently the undisputed Snood champion in the JOC. I have the top score on the "Evil" difficulty setting. I came back from an errand to an ominous sticky note on my desk with a SEAL's top score. He said his was the real top score since my claims were unsubstantiated.

I showed him the record on my computer. He went back to his desk in defeat.

He then spent the rest of the day trying to break my record.

I pointed out helpfully that his top score didn't even make the Top 10 on my computer.

Meanwhile, I overheard two older senior NCOs discuss their diets over a snack of coffee and prunes. Yes... coffee AND prunes. They are actively trying to make the rest of us suffer.

We regularly tease one of them because he's been around forever. His truck is older than some of us and he got the truck when finished SEAL training.

There are senior officers here that he instructed as one of the supervising instructors at the SEAL course.

And he loves sharing the results of his prunes.

Me, I'm sharing lots of M&Ms. My aunt and uncle were kind enough to send a cake and over 5 lbs of M&Ms.

The cake is amazing. It is always miraculous how some baked goods survive the trip. I immediately tore off a few chunks after dinner. I offerd to share the cake too but so far there were no takers.

One guy had a dip in, so he couldn't eat One guy said he was cutting back, which may be true. I assured them that the ragged edges were from me tearing off pieces and not from me taking bites right out of the cake.

The M&Ms are in the communal snack pit. It was way too likely that I'd eat them all myself if I didn't put them there right away.

Incidentally, the senior SEAL NCO I mentioned above is expecting a shipment of M&Ms too.

And I'm a little closer to closing out all of my projects. It is exciting in a geeky way. It is satisfying to be able to point to somethings and say that I made them happen. More importantly, it is satisfying to be able to hand over a neat and tidy position to the next guy.

...and a neat and tidy hooch for the next guy. I need to start packing up my stuff.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Glad the honey cake and m&m's were received in time for Rosh Hashanah. We hope it wasn't too stale. Happy New Year to you. Hope to see you soon.

Your aunt and uncle