Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Always Passover

There is apparently only one Jewish holiday. Passover. I have seen the Passover seder leader's kit. I have seen the normal seder kit. Now I have seen the passover survival kit, courtesy of the Jewish War Veterans of American branch in NY.
The kit is actually very nice. There is matzah, of course. Two cans of gefilte fish, horseradish sauce, those jelly candy things that are the Jewish answer to fruitcake on Christmas, a can of mandarin oranges, a can of tuna, soup mixes, and a wide assortment of morale items.
The morale items are especially thoughtful. There is a toiletry kit, two toothbrushes, a deck of cards, a letter from a student, a letter from the JCC, and a letter from the Jewish War Veterans branch.
It is very nice, but unfortunately, there aren't actually any meals included. Now I have six of them, but am not opening the other five now that I know what's there. Save them for when they are actually needed by someone else.
I'm mixed on the presence of so many extra passover kits of various kinds. It is amazing that so many organizations took the time and spent the money to get them here. It is a little sad that so many went unclaimed. Not sure if there were too many made or not enough interest. Probably a little of both.
In any case, the food issue has been quite a hassle, but both the logistics folks and the Chaplain have worked very hard on it and have been very supportive. I am apparently the only one in the region pushing this right now.

I received my Press-bot french press for my Nalgene bottle. I brewed my own coffee. I don't need the coffee to get through the shift, but it is really fun to brew coffee in a Nalgene bottle. Other people have their own presses, or even some coffee pots. There is even a big coffee urn for the less picky. But no one else has a french press in their Nalgene.

I found my alarm clock. It did not go through the laundry. Not as funny, but probably better this way.

I would like to wish a Happy Anniversary to my aunt and uncle today. They know who they are. Those of you who know them know who they are and should probably call. Unless you forgot, in which case, shame on you.

I read an incredible article by Joe Galloway in the Miami Herald. Look it up if you can. I also saw excellent coverage of the President's Memorial Day speech from the NY Times.
Incidentally, I also understand why CNN has such a bad reputation over here. I'm not mad at them, just disappointed. It comes back to the context issue again. Though I've also noticed anchors filling in gaps in their knowledge with supposition at best, fiction at worst. Wolf should know better, he's been around a while.

If my dad wants to respond to the mini-rant with a comment, that's fine. That is fun. I expect something along the lines of a joke about Bush administration intel analysis.
Though on the note of the media, I would like to point out that on AFN, Olberman follows Hannity and Colmes. I don't really pay attention to either, but Olberman can at least be funny and the scheduling always makes me smile.

3 comments:

Linda J. said...

your aunt and uncle say thanks for the good wishes. We'll keep you posted on who read and called.

Linda J. said...

Here's the update: your parents called, your sister called, your two uncles called (dad's side) and grandma, of course. You win the prize for most thoughtful and longest distance. Thanks.

Unknown said...

Hey, thanks for blogging about press-bot. we are always psyched to hear people enjoy using our product!

cheers | anthony
www.press-bot.com