Saturday, May 26, 2007

SOF vs non-SOF

I'm learning very quickly just how culturally different Special Operations Forces are from conventional forces. Specifically, in my specialty, but some of it holds true across the board.
The conventional guys are not as dialed in to the big picture, and just do not seem as intent on understanding the missions they work and where they fit in to them. They may not have the clearance or need to know on all of what is going on, but there is a lack of initiative in general that is frustrating.
It is almost embarrassing that we are in the same career field given the low quality of some of their output. I'm not going to claim to be the best weather guy, but I like to think that I work hard and support the missions to the best of my abilities. I'm not sure what their doing.
Otherwise, work continues as usual. Keeps me busy and out of trouble. I've been enjoying the care packages greatly. If all goes well, my overall food situation should be resolved Monday. I'm optimistic because I've actually been given a date and some details. We'll see.
We are having a Memorial Day ceremony here to remember those from our force that have been lost in the past year. It will be short and voluntary since everyone still has work to do and the fight goes on, but I'll stop by since it is just after my shift.

No comments: