Thursday, May 10, 2007

Little Things

I'm noticing that little things seems to have a greater effect than major things. I know it sounds vague, cliche, and pseudo-profound. So what?
I don't care when the A/C is out. It is uncomfortable, but so it goes. Work has to get done anyway. Same with any power outage. The only time food issues have bothered me is when I thought they were fixed and then found out that they weren't. Then I realized that I was no worse off than when I started so I pressed forward.
I don't bother counting days until I go home. I'm conscious of them, but don't want to drive myself nuts or get in to the mentality that my job is just to survive (not that I'm in any particular danger) the rotation.
Instead, I have little countdowns. My computer is counting down days until I have to reset my password. I could reset it anytime, but it'll seem like some kind of achievement when I hit the deadline and am forced to change it. I have charts that need to be updated periodically. I could just update them daily on the computer, but it is less of a hassle to make one for a certain period of time, print it, and make a new one when the time comes.
I'm amused by it anyway. I'm also amused about how the blog lets me step back to an outside looking in role on some of this. I'm noticing things I wouldn't otherwise notice.
I laughed when I heard we'd killed some bad guys. I don't think I used to do that. That is not to say I was bothered by the deaths of enemies, particularly ones who are genuinely bad guys. I just don't think I laughed about it. I should check with my wife.
Granted, I also didn't use to have access to intel reports on some of these people.

So it goes.

Last thing... I never really realized how big MySpace was until I saw it in the histories of ALL the morale computers.

I lied. Last thing. Today's clue that I am in an almost exclusively military environment: there was a commercial on AFN Sports for credit card addiction. Ah Joe, you never learn. At the very least my cousin outside of Bragg will understand why that commercial is both ammusing and so very necessary.

No comments: