Tuesday, May 15, 2007

I'm impressed

When I was participating in a Special Operations Weather Team orientation program, one of the young officers said that he'd heard the term "Quiet Professionals" applied to certain parts of the military and was curious as to the meaning. The answer that he got was that in a community with such high standards, the focus is on performance. There is little room for chest thumping because every day is a new day with new challenges.
What to most people would be an exceptional act of courage, skill, endurance, etc. is the norm. Daily. Sometimes multiple time a day. It is awe inspiring.
I was reminded of it because the guy who answered the question came up in conversation here. I met his boss, who had nothing but great things to say about him.

My day involved two new experiences. I got a cup of Starbucks coffee that someone here brewed. It tasted like home. I've actually been avoiding having it up to now just because it was fun to have a reminder of something simple like that to look forward to. But I was a bit tired after dinner and it made for a good pick me up. I guess there is a trend of people started to develop a coffee habit once they've been here about as long as I have. I guess it's one of the stages of deployment. I don't think I'll have a coffee habit or caffeine thing. It's just one cup, the first one was free, and I can quit anytime.
Besides, it was a bit of a weak brew anyway.
I also got to edit a memo written by the JAG. It was only a proof reading, but it was interesting to read what a JAG does. I got some visibility on something I otherwise wouldn't have, but I still have no intention of being a JAG officer. If there were JAG positions that require HALO qualifications like my job will, then I may reconsider.
Probably not. Environmental Recon is a small enough niche specialty.

Do we really have to endure nineteen more months of this campaign?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear Nephew,
Watch that coffee. Good thing I am only addicted to Kirkland Brand. Just spoke with "your wife" & we hope to meet this weekend.
We are all doing well & keeping very busy.
We pray for your safety & all of our people who have been put in harms way.
Love,
Your Aunt