Monday, July 16, 2007

Is this news?

OK, so this is unfair and all since I only saw the headline on CNN (volume was off), but it was "Gunning for Bin Laden." Is that new or are they doing a greatest hits or rerun series?
One amenity here that I don't have at home station is free range time, unlimited ammunition, and top quality instruction available on demand. Finally got to take advantage of it. Met up with a buddy after my shift (he, of course, was able to do this DURING his shift) and off we went. It's a bit sad that this was the first and only time to put on all my battle rattler, but so it goes.
Technically, I didn't need to wear my armor, etc. But I really don't plan on getting in any gunfights over here without it, so may as well be used to it. Granted, I don't really plan on getting in any gunfights working this position, but training and muscle memory are always good.
I also got to shoot an AK. Nothing too exotic or fancy, but it was my first opportunity. It was everything I thought it would be. Functional, ergonimcally unfriendly but easy enought to operate. Very rugged. It says something about the weapon that the first setting from safe is automatic as opposed to semi-automatic.
I'm no expert, but I prefer the M4. The ergonomics are better, though the AK is easier for me to control on automatic.
I haven't had to tote any of them on patrol, but there's a reason we've stuck with that M16 variants.
That said, there are new variations on the M-16 that incorporate design elements from the AK series to take advantage of its strenghts. A purist would argue, but it's a good enough lay explanation. I don't think most of you reading this care about the details or that particular tool in our tool box.

No comments: