Sunday, July 1, 2007

Forrest Gump Moment

Had a Forrest Gump moment after my shift. We had to move a bunch of heavy equipment on to the roof. One of the guys praised me effort, saying I would have made a good NCO. It reminded me of the scene in the movie when the drill sergeant said he'd recommend Gump for Officer Training if it wasn's such a waste of a fine enlisted man.

Work wise, not much else to report. People ask me about seasonal weather patterns, I give them an answer based on climatology and what I've learned from others who have been out here before me, but always have to qualify it. It's funny how people both make fun of us for being wrong half the time and getting paid and expect us to have absurdly exact answers about obscure things. So it goes.

It's a little nuts in that I'm still out here and I haven't even started school yet, but I'm already trying to plan next summer. Provided I don't do anything incredibly stupid (always a possibility) before I leave, they'd be happy to have me work with them again. I'm just trying to figure out training schedules right now. It's annoying because I need to advance in my tactical training, but any kind of planning on that front seems mostly useless due mostly to the inept bureaucracy of the Guard Bureau. Not funding issues (the funding is always and always will be an issue), not equipment issues, not anything you see on TV. It is purely incompetence and unprofessional behavior. In the mean time, I do have the ability and opportunity to share the burden with my brothers and sisters over here and in many other locations. I've got time to decide, but need to get the ball rolling now if I'm to have any hope of getting something figured out by the end of the calendar year.

No comments: