Saturday, July 7, 2007

Valhalla

Our flag is at half staff.
I had selfishly hoped the inevitable would not occur while I was here. It did. We lost some guys on a mission. I've waited to post about until I was sure next of kin were notified and that it had been released, even though I'm not going to get in to any specifics.
The night after it happened, a summary was briefed. The individual briefing it kept it simple. Do not mourn them, he said. They were warriors. And so we paid our respects to them by continuing on with the missions.
Still, these men are not easily replaced. Most people back home have no idea how fortunate they are that our country can produce men like them. It may be cliche to say that freedom is not free, but their lives is the price we pay for it.
You did not know them, you did not even know of them. But please remember them.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

May their memory be a blessing