Monday, July 23, 2007

Loose Ends

Finally got a chance to clean the weapons I shot. I brought my own cleaning kit as an afterthought. It turned out to be a good idea. I got both the pistol and rifle really clean. I don't think the pistol had been cleaned in a while--though they don't need it as often.
This past range visit was less productive than planned due to an ammunition mix up. We don't own the range and are therefore supposed to bring our own ammo from our unit. Last time I went it was with someone from the unit that owns that range so they let it slide. Oh well.
We still got to shoot and now we know. Ammo, as you can imagine, is plentiful, just need to pull from a different supply. It's fair.
I still learned some good drills and go to shoot new and improved M4 variant. Not a total loss.

I tried watching some of the You Tube debate on CNN, but got annoyed after a bunch of people used the words "UN Peacekeepers" and "immediate action" in the same sentence regarding Darfur. Then someone recommended a standing UN Peacekeeping force. I'd first ask the candidates how effective highly trained western peacekeepers were at Srebenica, then ask them who will donate these blue hatted impotent wonders. Finally, I'd ask them why it is they can advocate choosing sides in that civil war, but not in the the civil war they see in Iraq.
Don't get me wrong, dead Janjaweed would be fine with me. Some people just need to be shot and they are firmly on that list. But personal satisfaction aside, there needs to be a coherent plan. You'd think we'd realize that by now.
I decided to watch "What's Eating Gilbert Grape" on the movie channel instead. It could have been a Harry Potter movie and would have been more realistic.

No comments: